Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tax doesn't need to be taxing - yeah RIGHT!!!!

So, we're almost at the end of the period when I need to pay my tax bill. I've been putting it off for ages and ages, I keep logging in, looking at the on line forms then logging out. Well, I did actually put my name and address in the box a few weeks ago but I forgot to save it so even that had to be done again.

Today is the day, I promised myself I'd get it done before 5pm. I awoke early, had a hearty breakfast, did my push ups, flexed my typing fingers then got stuck in. Did you believe the bit about the push ups!

It was so complicated, by pass surgery must be easier than this, it has taken me all day to do a simple return, some of the questions I didn't understand so I had to call for help, the tax office are obviously busy so I enjoyed the music while I waited for the right person to talk to me, in fairness they do try to make it simple but I am left with the overwhelming feeling that Inland Revenue (or hmrc as they now like to be called) is a huge machine that is pretty much out of control and no one quite understands it. They talk a language that is alien to me and you, designed to make us feel second class citizens.

Anyway, the good news (I think) is that the on line calculation showed that I had to pay much less tax than I expected, I was so shocked I called back and asked for someone to check it - a very helpfull lady in Bradford assured me that it was correct so I'm a bit better off than I expected. I'm not convinced, they'll eventually take it off me somehow I am sure so I am not rushing to spend it.


0 comments:

Credit goes to Ourblogtemplates.com for the original Blogger Template. Subsequently modified by Aerovisionit

Back to TOP