Friday, February 13, 2009

Ghosts in the night

Sorry I have been away from the blog for a few days, I get emails when nothing appears here – you know who you are! I’m just glad that some people are interested in what I do.

Most of this week has been taken up with my education clients, I’m working on the photography for a University Prospectus at the moment, this is quite a responsible job, the Prospectus is the main document to entice students to a University and as such it is important that the imagery is of a very high standard. It is fair to say I was absolutely delighted to be chosen as the preferred Photographer for this prestigious job.



I cant mention the University or feature any of the images at the moment as the design is confidential, I am very hopeful that I will be able to feature some of the images here in a month or so as well as the cover of the Prospectus. As I have mentioned before, Education organisations, rightly have a duty to protect their students and all of the images taken this week feature students so I cant publish them without both their permission and that of the University, I hope that this will be granted soon. However, if any clients would like to discuss this in detail, I can show you the images and tell you more about it privately.  I have over 500 images selected from the many more that were shot and I now have the enviable (!) task of processing and cropping them all.

This evening I noticed some snow ball sculptures in the field where I walk the dogs, I thought they might make an interesting night photography exercise so I dragged Susan along this evening with my tripod, camera and flash to shoot these sculptures. I was disappointed to find that some kids had knocked over the interesting shaped ones leaving only a couple of snow balls. As we had plodded through the snow with camera gear we shot a couple of frames.



IMG_1324web

This was the first attempt – not very successful. What I did was put the camera on a tripod, leave the shutter open using the B facility then run round the field like a mad thing with my flash gun lighting things as I went. You can see the large snow ball in the foreground, then you can see Susan and I in the middle of the frame, I need more light on us. Right at the back (you’ll need to click it to make it bigger) you’ll see another snow ball lit with the torch.

IMG_1325web2 

This is slightly better, the snow ball is lit well, you can see the dogs to the right but they moved during the exposure so they are a little blurry – don't know why they wont stay still!

So, that’s called painting with light, I sometimes use this technique to light large offices, you should see the look on the peoples faces, me running about like a nutter with a flash gun. Interestingly, the word Photography comes from the Greek, and is translated as Painting with light – Photo for light and Graphy for painting.



You always learn things reading my blog !!!!

0 comments:

Credit goes to Ourblogtemplates.com for the original Blogger Template. Subsequently modified by Aerovisionit

Back to TOP